Business and marketing mentors and coaches talk about being authentic and being unique in business, but what does this really mean?
My dictionary defines authentic as ‘real or genuine; not copied or false; true to one’s own personality, spirit, or character.’ So being true to yourself is the essence of authenticity. When you are true to yourself you cannot be imitated, and do not imitate others. There may be similarities with others in terms of your appearance, your approach or in the language you use, but each of us has a purpose, each has lived a unique life, with unique experiences, and learning. It’s how you understand, claim and articulate these that make the difference in your business.
You enable people to know you and your business better and to trust you more, when how you look, what you say, what you do and how you do it is in alignment with your brand and business promise, with your marketing messages, and communication methods. When there is consistency of communication, approach, and delivery.
Top tips to be fully authentic in your life:
- Acknowledge and own who you are as a powerful and creative person. Your talents, skills, knowledge, experience, and expertise; your strengths and internal resources. Write them down, and speak them out loud so you fully believe and confidently own them.
- Access your intuition. Be still and check in with your inner guidance often. You always know when you’re being true to yourself. Make choices from that place.
Top tips to be fully authentic in your business:
- Craft your personal story to share the reason you do what you do in the way you do it, so your ideal clients can identify with it.
- Ensure your marketing and services messages are consistent with your personal image and brand
- Check in with yourself when making decisions. Rather than basing your decisions on what your competitors are doing, filter them through your own internal compass. (When you’re feeling great about who you are and what you’re doing, you’re more than likely to achieve meaningful success.)